Labels

Friday, April 19, 2013

Another Recipe

A favorite meal in my house, especially with my husband, is "Bubble Pizza."  I used to make it a lot when I was living at my parents house using refrigerated Pillsbury biscuit dough, but eventually I began to discover all the horrible ingredients slipped into our food supply.  I eventually stopped making it  because I couldn't bring myself to use the doughy stuff crammed into a can, and let's face it, who has time to make homemade biscuit dough?  However, my recipe was reborn when I came across a very simple drop biscuit recipe.  The time it takes me to throw this recipe together is about the same amount of time I spent trying to open those darn cans!  I usually use half this recipe when making the bubble pizza.  The great thing about this recipe is that it is easy to get kids involved in its creation and mine love to choose the toppings that go in.  (These are great with a bit of shredded cheese thrown in and eaten by themselves as well!)

* I use organic flours, sugar, butter and whole milk.

Drop Biscuits

1/2 c. wheat flour, 1/2 c. white flour, 1 T baking powder, 2 tsp. sugar, 1/4 t. salt, 1/2 c. melted butter, 1 c. milk

Heat oven to 450º.  Combine dry ingredients.  Stir in butter and milk just until moistened.  Drop on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-12 minutes.

or use in the following recipe:

Bubble Pizza

1/2 lb. ground beef, sausage or turkey
1 jar of pizza sauce
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (optional, sometimes I don't add)
1/2 recipe drop biscuit dough, not baked
Your favorite toppings for pizza (we use pepperoni and mushrooms)
Shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450º.  Brown the ground beef.  Add any additional pizza toppings you are using and saute a bit with the ground beef.  Stir in the pizza sauce and tomatoes if using.  Pour into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish.  Drop the biscuit dough by the tablespoon on top of the pizza mixture and gently press into the sauce.  Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through and golden.  Top with cheese and bake long enough to melt.  Serve with a salad or cut veggies and dip.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment