Labels

Monday, April 22, 2013

Has to be a First!

Happy Earth Day!!

I am rather proud of myself as I start this week off.  I had fifty dollars in Gymbucks (reward money at Gymboree if you aren't familiar) that expired yesterday and I actually let it expire without using it!  We went to the mall on Saturday and I stopped in with every intention of using them...I had my hands full of stuff the girls didn't really need. As I looked down at the armload of clothes, my mind wandered to the piles of clothes they already had at home; I reluctantly put down the colorful summer pieces and walked out.  It might sound crazy, but it was hard to do.  I love shopping for new clothes for my kids.  When I got into the car I very proudly showed Doug my empty hands; he gave me an impressed, "Congratulations."  I had done it...for the first time I walked out of Gymboree with Gymbucks still in hand, knowing they would be worthless the following day.  Not because I couldn't find anything cute, but because I for once had self-control.

Last month we were at our friends' house in Pittsburgh celebrating their daughter's birthday.  As food was being set out I noticed that Jen had put ranch dressing into a wonderful class jar.  It was the perfect size and shape to put dips, candy, olives, etc. into for parties. When I asked her where she got it, I was shocked by her response: it was the container from a Bath & Body Works candle.


After the candle burns all the way down, simply peel off the label, put it into the freezer overnight and the remaining wax will pop right out.  Rinse with warm water to clear out any residue and toss it in the dishwasher.  Who knew??  I usually throw stuff like this in the recycling, but repurposing is even better!  You've already bought the container, so why throw it away?  I could also see them being used for mini parfait or truffle dishes.  Here it is all cleaned up:



Thank you for the tip Jen!  (Now everyone needs to pass me their empty candle jars!)

Last night I posted about my attempt at pita pockets, so here is a photo of tonight's dinner. I used left-over chicken from last night, mixed it with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and homemade poppy seed dressing (recipe below) and stuffed it into a pita.  They were delicious!  I highly recommend them over store bought pitas any day.  I plan on freezing the rest to use another night.





Poppy Seed Dressing

Heaping 1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. milk (use less if you want it more creamy)
2 Tbs. cider vinegar
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. poppy seeds
2 Tbs. sugar (add more if you like it sweeter)

Mix together.  It is hard to mess this up.  Adjust ingredients to your taste.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment