Labels

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Happy Pinning!

Last night I figured out how to add a Pin-It  button to my blog, so feel free to pin a recipe or idea that you wish to hang on to.  If you click on the blog post that you want to pin, it will link directly to that one post.  Otherwise the button will link you to the entire blog and will eventually get lost in all the posts.  

While getting out ingredients for tonight's dinner, I realized that amount of processed foods in our pantry was really dwindling.  I stopped buying fruit snacks (we have one box of Annie's organic gummy bunnies left), the girls ate the last of the Bunny cracker mix for snack tonight, and there are a few other snack items left, so I've decided to stop buying it all together.  Lately the Monkeys have been asking for fruit, cheese or (the latest) pickles to snack on.  We do have one last bag of Goldfish left, but after hearing they use ingredients from Monsanto, Pepperidge Farm has been crossed off my list.  My alternative has been Whole Foods organic cheddar ducks, but they are still processed and contain unnecessary ingredients.  My latest idea?  Make my own!  I found several recipes for homemade cheese crackers and I can't wait to try them.  I searched for a tiny fish cookie cutter but at $8 + shipping, I decided I could probably make my own. The other night I drank a Cherry Vanilla Cream Soda (from Whole Foods and sooo yummy!) so I grabbed the can out of the recycling and cut it into strips.  I then began forming it into a fish shape and taped the edges together.  I was worried about the sharp edges on top, so I covered those in tape as well.  It isn't as sturdy as a copper cookie cutter, but it will work.  It would be fun to create different shapes for parties or special holidays.  I'll let you know how they turn out once I try them.




As for dinner tonight...another fantastic meal.  The original recipe called for bass, but I always use cod because it is mild, less expensive and the girls love it!  This would also be great with chicken.  I listed the ingredients as I used them, but obviously they do not need to be organic.  (Beware..this is NOT a low-fat recipe!)

Cod with Mushroom Sauce

3 Tbs. unsalted organic butter
2 shallots, chopped
1/2 Tbs. dried Thyme (or 2 sprigs fresh)
Fresh ground pepper
8 oz mushrooms quartered or sliced
1 # wild cod fillets
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. organic vegetable oil
3/4 cup organic chicken broth (or use dry white wine if you prefer)
3/4 cup organic heavy cream

Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add shallots, thyme and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add mushrooms and saute until browned, about 8 minutes. While the mushrooms are cooking, heat the oils in another skillet over medium heat.  Add the fish and cook for a few minutes on each side, just until browned; transfer to a plate.  Add the broth to the skillet and scrape up any bits.  Boil over high heat until reduced, about 3 minutes.  Add the cream and simmer another 3 minutes.  Add the mushrooms to the cream sauce then add the fish back to the skillet.  Simmer until the fish is cooked through, 5-7 minutes.  

I served this with mashed potatoes (organic instant...I was lazy) and a salad.  







Budget Update:  $12.50 remaining, 6 days left

No comments:

Post a Comment